[51] The cruiser was commissioned into the U.S. Navy as the unclassified miscellaneous vessel USS Prinz Eugen (IX-300). Liaison officers were present on all three ships. On 27 May 1945, Prinz Eugen and the light cruiser Nürnberg were escorted by the British cruisers Dido and Devonshire to Wilhelmshaven. [36] Shortly after 10:00, Lütjens ordered Prinz Eugen to fall behind Bismarck to discern the severity of the oil leakage from the bow hit. In early February, minesweepers swept a route through the English Channel, though the British failed to detect the activity. [19] On the evening of 20 May, Prinz Eugen and the rest of the flotilla reached the Norwegian coast; the minesweepers were detached and the two raiders and their destroyer escorts continued north. 08 September 1942- 28 February 1943: Kapitän zur See Hans-Erich Voß. [12] At around 13:00 on 20 May, the German flotilla encountered the Swedish cruiser HMS Gotland; the cruiser shadowed the Germans for two hours in the Kattegat. [65] In reference to her originally planned name, the ship's bell from the Austrian battleship Tegetthoff was presented on 22 November by the Italian Contrammiraglio (Rear Admiral) de Angeles. 26 May 1941: Refuels at sea from tanker Spichern. Two of the shells landed short, striking the water close to the ship, but at least one of the 38 cm armor-piercing shells struck Hood and penetrated her thin upper belt armor. The two ships destroyed the British battlecruiser Hood and moderately damaged the battleship Prince of Wales in the Battle of the Denmark Strait. [44], On 16 May, Prinz Eugen made the return voyage to Germany under her own power. At 20:30, the heavy cruiser HMS Norfolk joined Suffolk, but approached the German raiders too closely. After it became apparent that it would be impossible to move the ship to Norway, Prinz Eugen was assigned to the Fleet Training Squadron. Prinz Eugen was therefore recalled temporarily. Within a few minutes, Prinz Eugen scored a pair of hits on the battleship and reported a small fire to have been started. Armament: [31] In only eight minutes of firing, Hood had disappeared, taking all but three of her crew of 1,419 men with her. Garzke, William H.; Dulin, Robert O. In July 1946, she survived two nuclear tests in Bikini Atoll. Prinz Eugen was powered by three sets of geared steam turbines, which were supplied with steam by twelve ultra-high pressure oil-fired boilers. While en route to Kiel, the ship was attacked by a British force of 19 Bristol Blenheim bombers and 27 Bristol Beaufort torpedo bombers commanded by Wing Commander Mervyn Williams, though the aircraft failed to hit the ship. [49] After stopping briefly in Grimstadfjord, the ships proceeded on to Trondheim. Christened by Frau Magda von Horthy, wife of the Hungarian Regent. 13 May 1941: Arrives in Gotenhafen. The same day more engine problems showed up, including trouble with the port engine turbine, the cooling of the middle engine and problems with the starboard screw, reducing her maximum speed to 28 knots. The ship's top speed was 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph), at 135,619 shaft horsepower (101.131 MW). [51] Over the first two days, the ship fired some 700 rounds of ammunition from her main battery. [30] At 05:45, lookouts on the German ships spotted smoke on the horizon; these turned out to be from Hood and Prince of Wales, under the command of Vice Admiral Lancelot Holland. 20-25 September 1944: Escorts a convoy retreating from Finland. [5], The ship's primary armament was eight 20.3 cm (8.0 in) SK L/60 guns mounted in four twin turrets, placed in superfiring pairs forward and aft. For nine months, she cruised the Baltic training cadets. 22 February 1942: At about 1300 hours, Prinz Eugen and Admiral Scheer anchor in the Grimstadfjord near Bergen. [42] The intention was to deploy the vessels to Norway to interdict Allied convoys to the Soviet Union. [50] The convoy, consisting of six freighters, sailed on 15 September from the Gulf of Bothnia, with the entire Second Task Force escorting it. Lütjens ordered his ships' crews to battle stations. She returned on the 14th and 15th, after having restocked her main battery ammunition, to fire another 370 rounds. Two jury-rudders are installed on to the stern transverse bulkhead. The ship was laid down in April 1936, launched in August 1938, and entered service after the outbreak of war, in August 1940. [73] Prinz Eugen then departed Swinemünde for Copenhagen,[67] arriving on 20 April. Detected by British planes off Skagen on the 11th, the group returns to Gotenhafen where it arrives on the 12th. By 05:52, the range had fallen to 26,000 m (85,000 ft) and Hood opened fire, followed by Prince of Wales a minute later. [61] The irradiated ship was towed to the Kwajalein Atoll in the central Pacific, where a small leak went unrepaired. The stern similarly rose upward as water rushed into the ripped-open compartments. Four torpedo boats—T13, T16, T19, and T21—joined the operation. 19 August 1944: At 0700 hours, Prinz Eugen departs Gotenhafen for the Gulf of Riga, together with torpedo boats T23 and T28 of the 2nd Flotilla. At 16:43, Prinz Eugen encountered five British destroyers: Campbell, Vivacious, Mackay, Whitshed, and Worcester. [44] She had by then only 160 tons fuel left, enough for a day. From 29-31 January the Prinz expends 871 rounds of 20.3 cm ammunition against the Samland coast. [14], By 11 May 1941, repairs to Prinz Eugen had been completed. Once there, she was decommissioned on 7 May and turned over to Royal Navy control the following day.[55]. [58][59], Off Dover, Prinz Eugen came under fire from British coastal artillery batteries, though they scored no hits. Two of the shells landed short, striking the water close to the ship, but at least one of the 38 cm armour-piercing shells struck Hood and penetrated her thin deck armor. During these operations, she fired a total of 2,025 shells from her 20.3 cm guns and another 2,446 rounds from her 10.5 cm guns. The three escorting destroyers were detached at 04:14 on 22 May, while the force steamed off Trondheim. [4] She was originally to be named after Wilhelm von Tegetthoff, the Austrian victor of the Battle of Lissa, though considerations over the possible insult to Italy, defeated by Tegetthoff at Lissa, led the Kriegsmarine to adopt Prinz Eugen as the ship's namesake. [13] The report eventually made its way to Captain Henry Denham, the British naval attaché to Sweden, who transmitted the information to the Admiralty. [4] Her keel was laid down on 23 April 1936,[6] under construction number 564 and the contract name Kreuzer J. Despite the many British warships and several convoys in the area, at least 104 units were identified on the 29th by the ship's radio crew, Prinz Eugen reached the Bay of Biscay undiscovered, and on 1 June the ship was joined by German destroyers and aircraft off the coast of France south of Brest;[49] and escorted to Brest, which she reached late on 1 June where she immediately entered dock. [48] The screw problems could only be checked and repaired in a dock and thus Brest, with its large docks and repair facilities, was chosen as destination. On the second attack, they succeeded in sinking Lützow with a single Tallboy bomb hit. [84] The ship was towed to the Kwajalein Atoll in the central Pacific, where a small leak went unrepaired due to the radiation danger. [51] On 13 April, 34 Lancaster bombers attacked the two ships while in port. June 1942: Fregattenkapitän Karl-Heinz Neubauer. The action diverted British attention and permitted Prinz Eugen to slip away. [2] In early 1941, the ship's artillery crews conducted gunnery training. [84] Prinz Eugen was moored about 1,200 yards (1,100 m) from the epicenter of both blasts and was only lightly damaged by them;[85] the Able blast only bent her foremast and broke the top of her main mast. 09 January 1943: Operation Fronttheater. Two days later, while patrolling off the Trondheimsfjord, the British submarine Trident torpedoed Prinz Eugen. The two ships had been selected for Operation Rheinübung, a breakout into the Atlantic to raid Allied commerce. List of ranks in the fire, police, jail, and corrections services of the Philippines, People of the American Civil War by state, Articles incorporating text from Wikipedia, http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/p12/prinz_eugen.htm, https://military.wikia.org/wiki/German_cruiser_Prinz_Eugen?oldid=4519102, Design: 16,970 t (16,700 long tons; 18,710 short tons), Belt: 70 to 80 mm (2.8 to 3.1 in), Armor deck: 20 to 50 mm (0.79 to 1.97 in). [56] Vice Admiral Otto Ciliax was given command of the operation. [54] Hitler insisted they would make the voyage via the English Channel, despite Raeder's protests that it was too risky. [17] Gotland transmitted a report to naval headquarters, stating: "Two large ships, three destroyers, five escort vessels, and 10–12 aircraft passed Marstrand, course 205°/20'.